You can’t unknow the effect alcohol has on your life, but holy shit can you turn a blind eye to it, justify it, or smooth it over in your mind.
From everything I’ve seen online and from my own experiences, this is how the cycle seems go:
1. Drink (repeat for a while)
2. Drink too much
3. Experience negative consequences
4. Decide to drink less (repeat steps 1-3… for months…or years)
5. Experience worsening consequences
6. Wonder if you should quit
7. Struggle some more (repeat steps 1-6… for more months… or years)
8. Quit drinking
9. Feel better
10. Forget why you quit, or feel like it’s hopeless to try to stay sober, or decide your brain has been cured, or just say fuck it and give up
Go back to step one (and repeat for months or years until you figure out how to break the cycle)
Once you figure out the right tools and support, getting to step nine is manageable. It’s getting past step ten that’s a bitch.
Let’s break the cycle.
Happy Sober Sunday,